Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Delicious Disasters!


I love playing in the kitchen, not always following a recipe.  Well, I've reached new heights in experimental cooking today!

Jasmine was keen to bake some heart shaped cookies today.  We mixed a batch of dough using a recipe found in a little cookbook she has.  Satisfied that she was on the right track, I left her to cut out the delicate hearts.

Meanwhile, I set about making a batch of chewy chocolate chip and macadamia (almost gluten free) cookies from a recipe I found on the internet.  Elijah helped measure nicely spaced teaspoons of mixture onto the baking trays.  In no time at all, they were ready for the oven.  As the dough melted, we watched, mesmerised, as the cookies spread and merged into three trays of gigantic cookie monsters.  Maybe the cornflour was an important ingredient, but we'd run out.  Oh well, at least they looked nicely browned.  Still hopeful, I put the trays on the stove top to cool.

Jasmine's hearts were ready to cook.  The oven just needed a moment to cool first ... 

Having allowed my cookie monsters to cool for a minute, I set about 'trying' to cut and re-home them on the cooling racks.  Ha ha ... instead we have two containers of cookie crumbs.  One holds cooked but still soft cookie dough.  The other holds more biscuit-like crumbs.  One baking tray which I experimentally didn't line with baking paper, has, unfortunately danced it's last dance.

Jasmine's lovely hearts cooked in ten minutes, and came out at just the right moment.  A quick test proved they were melt-in-your-mouth delicious, crisp and delicate.  A quick dust of icing sugar, and they were done.  Perfect!

This afternoon I will have to buy a tub of vanilla icecream and a tub of soy icecream.  After a short trip home from the shop, it should be soft enough to transform into cookie dough, choc chip and nut icecream dessert.   Which we'll eat another day, as we've all eaten way too many experimental sweets today.

Jasmine's biscuits are ready to serve.  Splendid and sweet.

Maybe not such a disaster, after all!!



1 comment:

  1. don't we love these kitchen mishaps, I've had a few in my time lol!

    ReplyDelete

Would you like to write a comment?