Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My Book Feast

Last week was one of those weeks when I devoured stories every spare moment.  Not that there were many spare moments, with planned and impromptu guests (including a few overnight), a home ed. social day, church sand modelling activity, woodwork lessons, soccer training, Spring cleaning (even though it's Autumn), and we helped a family move house.   We started building our new dining/ activity room shelves too!

So can you see why I needed to read whenever there was a moment to escape?  Some people (including my husband) would say it's crazy to read so much at such a busy time, and that it'd be better to get a proper sleep.  They're kind of right, but I find reading is one of the most relaxing ways to restore my energy.

Here's a sneak peek at some of the books I've enjoyed in the last ten days:




I also read "The Whistling Season" by Ivan Doig, and perhaps others I returned to the library before I took these photos.  Sorry I don't have time to write reviews of the novels.  As for what I read with the children, that'll have to wait for another post.

I'm quite satisfied now.  Like feasting on chocolate, I enjoyed this delicious treat, but feel I've had my fill of fiction for now.  I 'm happily back into to my normal diet of dreaming up fun ways to learn, reading the Bible, catching up on home ed admin and writing here!

6 comments:

  1. Let me know what you think of these. I find reading historical fiction wonderful and uplifting. I love to read how life was once upon a time. Thought I might get around to reading Raising Our Children Raising Ourselves sometime as well. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Renelle,

    As far as historical fiction goes, I enjoyed "Love on a Dime" by Cara Lynn James the most. Partly because the heroine is a secret writer. I can't tell you much more, it was such a busy week and I read an average of a novel a night, so many details are already forgotten.

    "The Geek Girl's Guide to Cheerleading" was a fun teen fiction story.

    The two books by Fleur McDonald were based in the Aussie outback, with strong female characters, and these stories appealed to my love of the land. I wouldn't make a great farmer, but love to dream about it!

    I skipped bits of "Coldwater", as I just didn't care enough about the characters.

    Books like "Shauzia" always challenge my sense of the world, expanding my limited view and seeing the challenges faced by people in other cultures.

    Naomi Aldort's book was a good mix of empowering, challenging and helpful. I had this book for 2 months, and whilst I don't agree with all of the ideas, it helped me to understand my children better and consider how to respond in tricky situations. It helped me a lot through Jasmine's school trial.

    Cheers,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I'm an avid fan of Escher, and loved reading about his life and learning in the first half of the book. The second half showed many of his art works, which appeal greatly to my love of numbers, order and clever design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't say I've read any of those:( and while I would be the opposite and sleep instead I *can* relate to that feeling of satisfaction that comes after an indulgence:) how's the homeschooling coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving homeschooling, Joyfulmum, life is sweet and richly blessed ... will write again soon and fill you in. Thanks for dropping in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great! good to hear that Vanessa:)

    ReplyDelete

Would you like to write a comment?