Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Lots happening

I'm feeling odd at the moment ... my mind is all over the place, and my body is pretty much on strike.  I've had more tests, and more are to come, but there is no definite diagnosis or easy fix.  Even though Christmas is food season, I'll be more diligent about following the advice in Dr Sandra Cabot's books (eg. liver cleansing, thyroid problems solved) to restore balance and energy.  And more importantly, I'm praying for the Lord's healing, as only He knows what's wrong.

I had wanted to continue school work up to Christmas, especially phonics, maths and projects, since we were on a roll after a pretty casual year.  But I'm barely coping with each day without the added guilt of only doing a fraction of what I plan.  There's a time for everything ... so I declared the holidays officially started last weekend.  The kids don't mind!  Our impulsively started 'Knights and Castles' unit study/ lapbook is in a folder, ready to return to whenever we get the urge.  Christmas themed work/ fun is photocopied, but if we don't get to it, it will keep until next year.

Now it's full steam ahead with preparing for Christmas and our church camp.

The kids Lego collection has suddenly expanded dramatically, as my brother moved house and found our boxes full of bits from when we were children.  Hooray!  Have you ever cleaned lego, piece by little piece, with detergent, a toothbrush, nailbrush and baby wipes?  It's rather time consuming.  I estimate I have only 15-20 hours work remaining.  Meanwhile, the kids are gladly playing inventing all kinds of vehicles, homes and mini-worlds.

I want to write about so many things, but it's not likely to happen if I wait to write detailed posts or put helpful links ...

Brain explosions (a good thing in children) in literacy and numeracy.  Elijah's 2 bottom teeth which fell out in one day, leaving him with a cheeky (or cheekier) grin and a lisp.  Jasmine's delights and dramas.  How much their swimming has improved.

The kids are suddenly both excited about writing ... in their journals, letters or just as part of their games.  It's happening so naturally that I'm careful to stay out of the way unless invited to help.

Book reviews.  I've been captivated by Mao's Last Dancer.  Inspired and touched by The hospital by the River (about a fistula hospital in Ethiopia).  Delighted by We of the Never Never (read with extra interest as my husband may be a descendant of The Fizzer, the outback postman).  Amazed at the snippets Pete shares from The Snowball - Warren Buffett.  I'm a really fussy reader ... nothing scary, evil, violent, graphic, suspenseful, rude, boring ... but have recently managed to find a few other books which have provided entertainment and escape.  Though sometimes leaving me haunted, after reaching into parts of my mind best left untouched.

Our bloggy homeschooling friend Dana (of Roscommon Acres blog), whose family is hurting so much.  Their beautiful little boy is gone after a tragic accident in the home.  They've been in my heart and prayers since I read that terribly sad message.

How kind and helpful the kids are when I most need them to be ... praying for me, making their own lunch, folding washing, playing quietly.  How they must have a radar which senses the moment I have energy, so that they can fight, be demanding and willful again!

Lovely homeschool friends.  Online inspiring, sharing, listening.  In real life caring, laughing, enjoying the journey together.  Locally we've had play dates, a pool party and presentation day.  I'm being deliberately vague about plans for next year, waiting to see what our needs and desires are, as the kids are changing ever so quickly ... who knows what the new year will bring?  I'm thankful and excited that God willing, we'll again be homeschooling alongside such genuine, delightful people.

*********************************

Wishing you and your families a special Christmas and wonderful new year.

Love to you all,
Vanessa

5 comments:

  1. A very honest post Vanessa! I understand about not getting everything finished that you would like. We have had cousins here for the last 2 weeks and it is awesome, so other plans go out the window and I just remind myself to relax and trust God! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a lovely ,fun and relaxing christmas Vanessa. We haven't been able to accomplish everything I had planned but I'm learning to listen to the kids more(Carter in particular!), and follow their interests. It is amazing how much more motivated to research and do projects when it's something they chose. I guess I'm learning to be a guide/faciltator rather than teacher. I just love learning right along side them. I'm going to read Mao's Last Dancer soon. Hope you feel well again soon. Blessings, Renelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vanessa, I do hope you find out what's causing you to be sick very soon. Homeschooling is not easy even when we are well much less when we aren't! Merry Christmas and wishing you God's best for 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will the lego go in the dishwasher??!

    I hope you get some relief from your symptoms or some answers soon.

    Have a fantastic Xmas and looking forward to catching up with you in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone, I'm feeling much better this week.

    We don't have a dishwasher, but it's a good idea Kez. I might visit a friend who has one next year. If we put the lego in mesh bags, perhaps it would work. If so, you've just saved me 10 hours scrubbing!

    ReplyDelete

Would you like to write a comment?